Health & Medicine
Medical Research Disclaimer
While the library is committed to serving the information needs of its patrons, the ethical principles of the Reference and Adult Services Division of the American Library Association prohibit us from practicing medicine: “Staff are not healthcare professionals. At no time should staff interpret or make recommendations regarding diagnoses, treatments, or specific health care professionals or health care facilities.” (RUSA Health and Medical Reference Guidelines, June 2015)
The Lexington County Public Library provides medical and health information to the public for informational purposes only. Staff do not render professional medical advice, medical services or engage in the practice of medicine in any way.
In-depth coverage of complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness.
Access health and wellness information on both conventional and alternative treatments for aging, cancer, nutrition, fitness and more.
Search a full range of health-related issues, from current disease and disorder information to alternative medical practices.
Find information on health conditions, wellness issues and more.
Access reference titles related to literature, history, science, health and business. Includes H.W. Wilson: The Reference Shelf volumes on issues of importance in modern society.
The Gale Encyclopedias cover many topics in medicine and health.
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Cancer
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Children’s Health
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Diets
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Fitness
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Health
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Nursing & Allied Health
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Nutrition & Food Labels
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Pregnancy & Childbirth
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Prescription Drugs
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Senior Health
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery & Medical Tests
- Cardiovascular Disease Handbook & Resource Guide
- Dementia Handbook & Resource Guide
- Diabetes Handbook & Resource Guide
- Nutrition, Obesity & Eating Disorders Handbook & Resource Guide
Online magazines available through Libby.
- Addictions & Substance Abuse
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- Genetics & Inherited Conditions
- Infectious Diseases & Conditions
- Psychology & Mental Health